We [NZ TechBlog] have relocated to another program called Wordpress! But our address has remained the same, thank goodness! Visit us here at www.nztechblog.net

NZ TechBlog Status | My Geekzone Blog | Free Technology WhitePapers | Amazon Kindle Page


Monday 14 January 2013

Attempting to purchase a Netgear DGND3700v2 modem/router

I am trying to buy the Netgear DGND3700 v2 at PB Tech, but they have none in stock at both my closest stores in Auckland! I guess I will have to wait for a few more days.

A quick phone call to both stores tell me that stock will arrive in 1 to 2 days time. The price of these is around $210 (inc GST) at current; PB Tech don't normally include GST in their prices unless you look closer at their in-store price tags, or if you're online, to have to remember to check the box on the right which says "GST Inclusive". This "trick" of theirs used to get me a lot as I thought to myself... Wow! These prices are a great bargain!" Only to find out that they haven't included GST! Good marketing trick though...

The reason I wanted to get this modem/router is because first of all, it has an ADSL2+ modem built, and a gigabit WAN port for when my fiber connection gets connected, and it also supports IPv6, so I know I will be future-proofed!



Before I went with my gut to buy, I decided to do some research on the internet and found a heap of review sites that gave this device a mere 9 out of 10! I again thought.. Wow! I guess I definitely will be buying this model!... until...I read some real User Reviews on forums.. Whirlpool, Netgear's own forum, that this model was not a very good model at all! Disconnections to the internet, WiFi range very bad, etc... But they did have a solution that this v1 model was going to be discontinued and was to be replaced with a v2 model.
More research on the v2 model revealed that all problems with the v1 model had been resolved and that it was "safe to buy!"

Great! Everything is back to normal! I will wait for when this model is in stock and will whip around to one of their stores!

No comments:

Post a Comment